History of Watson Clinic
In the summer of 1941, a medical group comprised of two surgeons, two internists, and a urologist officially became known as Watson Clinic. Led by Dr. Herman Watson, their mission was to provide the very best healthcare to the people of Polk County and beyond.
From these humble beginnings, Watson Clinic has developed into one of the largest and most respected clinics in the Southeast. Their mission remains unchanged.
THE DAWNING OF A DREAM
The history of Watson Clinic begins with a group of esteemed physicians, known as our “Founding Fathers,” who dedicated their lives to the medical field. They named the company in honor of one of the physicians in their group -- Dr. Willis Herman Watson.
Dr. Watson was born on a farm in Georgia and graduated from the University of Georgia School of Medicine in 1912. He continued with various postgraduate studies throughout the United States and stayed on in France for a year to further his studies after serving in World War I. Having already established his own practice in Lakeland before he left for the war in 1917, he returned to the area in 1920 and resumed his practice of general medicine with an emphasis on surgery.
Dr. Herman Watson founded Watson Clinic in 1941 and retired in 1954.
His nephew, Dr. Samuel Edgar Watson, was also a graduate from the University of Georgia and completed his internship at Knoxville General Hospital. “Dr. Edgar” joined his uncle’s practice in 1935 followed in 1938 by Dr. Jere W. Annis, who had completed his fellowship in Internal Medicine at the Mayo Foundation in Rochester, Minnesota. Drs. Henry Fuller and John Kibler joined the practice three years later in 1941, at which time the physician group officially became known as Watson Clinic.
GROWTH AND PROGRESS
Watson Clinic initially operated within the Marble Arcade Building in downtown Lakeland.
At the conclusion of the 1940’s, Watson Clinic decides to move their facility to the annex of the Thelma Hotel in downtown Lakeland.
Watson Clinic kept their offices rooted in the downtown Lakeland area for much of their early history, initially operating out of limited space in the Marble Arcade Building before moving across Kentucky Avenue into the annex of the Thelma Hotel. Robust growth eventually warranted the construction of a unique and expansive medical facility. On July 12, 1958, the Clinic transferred from its modest space on 122 South Kentucky Avenue to their new and elegantly constructed quarters at 1600 Lakeland Hills Boulevard, a location that still acts as their Main Clinic
campus to this day.
An artist’s rendering of our Main Clinic at 1600 Lakeland Hills Boulevard upon its construction in 1958.
In response to the needs of our community and the ongoing progressive nature of the health care field, Watson Clinic continued to recruit physicians from the best medical schools in the world and expand their roster of specialties and locations.
Their work within the community soon reached far beyond Clinic walls, leading to the formation of The Watson Clinic Foundation
, the philanthropic arm of Watson Clinic LLP, in 1960. The foundation continues its mission of building a healthier community to this day through educational outreach, tireless research and free screening programs.
The burgeoning reputation and scope of the Clinic operations set the community standard for excellence in healthcare. In 1969, Watson Clinic became the first clinic in the United States to be accredited by the American Association of Medical Clinics (AAMC). In 2005, they received a prestigious three-year accreditation from the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care, a feat they have repeated every three years since then. Their orthopaedic
department is one of the most renowned in the area, treating a number of top shelf community sports teams, including the Detroit and Lakeland Flying Tigers baseball organization.
Watson Clinic Cancer & Research Center, located at 1730 Lakeland Hills Boulevard, opened in 2003.
The Cancer & Research Center
, opened in 2003, was a collaborative venture with Clark and Daughtrey Medical Group and the area’s finest independent physicians. The Center specializes in the prompt detection, diagnosis, and supportive follow up care of patients with cancer and hematological disorders, and provides comprehensive access to a multitude of cancer services including the latest treatment options and clinical research trials. In 2013, following the 10th anniversary of the Cancer Center, Clark & Daughtrey was purchased by Lakeland Regional Medical Center and moved out of the Center for Cancer Care & Research. This allowed Watson Clinic to rename the facility as Watson Clinic Cancer & Research Center
Watson Clinic’s Women’s Center offers expert women’s breast services, including the latest in digital mammography and breast surgery technologies.
The Watson Clinic Women’s Center
, located on the corner of Parkview and Lakeland Hills Boulevard, opened in September 2006. The Women’s Center offers superior digital mammography, breast surgery and plastic surgery services, and the most comprehensive and compassionate women’s care in the area.
Watson Clinic’s Bella Vista Building, which opened in February of 2009.
Watson Clinic has branched out beyond the Lakeland region with two dermatology offices in Zephyrhills
and Sun City Center
and a family practice and pediatrics location in Plant City.
Watson Clinic Highlands, which opened in September of 2015.
Watson Clinic Highlands
rests on nine acres of land located on E. County Rd 540A, a quarter mile east of the 540A/Lakeland Highlands Road intersection. This impressive facility provides over 74,000 square feet of space over two floors, a host of popular specialties, and a team of medical providers unequaled in the region.
Services at this beautiful location include Family Medicine
, Otolaryngology (ENT)
& Facial Plastic Surgery
, General Surgery
, Hand Surgery
, a Hearing Center
, Internal Medicine
, Obstetrics - Gynecology
, Orthopaedic Surgery/Sports Medicine
services, Priority Care
, Nurse Ancillary Clinic-EKG, and Physical Therapy
& Sport Medicine, as well as comprehensive Radiology
capabilities, including CAT scan, MRI, DEXA bone density scanning
, x-ray, ultrasound and 3D mammography
. Additionally, the facility includes an on site Laboratory
for faster test results and DJ Ortho.
Watson Clinic Center for Specialized Rehabilitation offers exceptional services to patients in south Lakeland, Bartow and surrounding communities.
First opened in October of 2018, this exciting facility located in the heart of south Lakeland features one of the area's only certified Hand Therapists, a certified Vestibular Specialist, physical conditioning, occupational therapy
, a state-of-the-art HUMAC Balance System, and much more.
Watson Clinic Bartow Building B, which opened in October of 2016.
Watson Clinic built their first location in Bartow in 1986, and have expanded their presence ever since to meet the growing healthcare demands of the community.
Watson Clinic Building B
is adjacent to our existing Bartow location (Building A
), and houses Obstetrics, Gynecology & Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Services, and a Nephrology department specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of kidney disorders, hypertension and more.
Watson Clinic Urgent Care South provides the care you need when you need it the most - Your Urgent Care Experts.
Opened in January 2020, Watson Clinic Urgent Care South
offers expert treatments for minor illnesses and injuries without the need for an appointment or the high fees associated with traditional emergency room visits. The facility is located adjacent to the Watson Clinic South
location at 1033 N. Parkway Frontage Rd. in South Lakeland.
A LEGACY OF CARING
Watson Clinic’s commitment to the community has remained constant since their humble beginnings in 1941. As medical advancements have developed new and exciting possibilities, Watson Clinic has led the way by continuing to offer the latest innovations in technology and research.
Watson Clinic provides unparalleled excellence in healthcare for every generation.
With a total staff of more than 1800 employees, over 300 physicians and providers, 40 diverse medical and surgical specialties and 19 state-of-the-art locations serving close to a million outpatient visits every year, Watson Clinic remains well equipped to treat any ailment you are likely to experience in your lifetime. Their reputation remains far-reaching and nationally respected.