Diabetes Education - Individual and Group
A diagnosis of diabetes can be difficult to deal with. Today, managing your diabetes can be easier than ever. At Watson Clinic, we are committed to working with individuals and families to focus on their physical, emotional and educational needs. You will learn about healthy eating, physical activity, medications, monitoring, problem solving, healthy coping, reducing risks of complication and stress management. Our goal is to provide you with information, skills and the support you need to become confident in the daily management of your diabetes.
- Blood Sugar Monitoring Class
- Diabetes 101 Class*
- Diabetes 102 Self-Management Class*
- Individual Appointments with Certified Diabetes Educators*
- Carbohydrate Counting and Meal Planning Instruction
- Weight Management
- Diabetes Medication Injection Training
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Insulin Pump Patient Support
Certified Diabetes Educators (CDE) are healthcare professionals who are specialized and certified to teach you how to manage diabetes. Look for the initials CDE. This means the practitioner has:
- Completed formal education and has years of practical experience in Diabetes education and care.
- Passed a National Exam.
- Maintained continuing education hours.
Watson Clinic offers diabetes self-management classes, individual appointments with certified diabetes educators, dietitians and blood sugar monitoring classes. Patient appointments are available with a referral from a Watson Clinic physician. Diabetes education is offered at Watson Clinic Main, Watson Clinic South, Watson Clinic Bartow, Watson Clinic Lakeland Highlands and Watson Clinic Plant City.
Reasons to see a Certified Diabetes Educator:
- You are newly diagnosed with diabetes.
- You are starting on insulin or other injectable medication for diabetes.
- You are using or interested in learning about an insulin pump.
- Your A1C is greater than 7.0%.
- Your fasting blood sugar is often greater than 120 or your after meal blood sugars are often greater than 160.
- You are experiencing frequent low blood sugars.
- You feel frustrated that you are doing all the right things and are still not achieving your blood sugar goals.
- You would like an update on the latest information and technology.
- You do not have a regular schedule and find it difficult fitting in time for diabetes.
- You would like to take control of diabetes and not let it control you!
*This diabetes self-management education program has been Recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education.
You must be a Watson Clinic patient to participant in these classes. Diabetes education is covered by Medicare and most commercial insurances. Individual appointments with a nurse (RN) or dietitian (RD) are also available depending on your needs. For an appointment, please call your Watson Clinic physician.